1. What are the different types of materials in the market? Classify the materials into wood, metal, plastics and others.
sustainably harvested fibers-Bamboo
Fabrics- Cloth Bag
Paper- newspaper, normal wrapping paper.
taken from: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-environmentally-responsible-types-of-wrapping-paper.htm
2. What are the properties of the different materials?
Bamboo Fiber- It is 100% biodegradable naturally soft, allergy reduces, thermal regulating, anti-bactirial and absorbs moisture.
Cloth Bag- made of fabric such as canvas, woven synthetic fibers
Newspaper- recycled paper
Normal Wrapping paper- Resistance to fluid and vapor penetration.
Taken from: http://www.eartheasy.com/wear_bamboo_clothing.htm
3. How do the different materials come about? What are their compositions?
Some materials such as brass and bronze are alloys which are different metals which is melted and mixed together. These materials are more stronger and durable as they take in the properties of the mixed materials.
68.5% -71.5% copper
Remaining ingredient being zinc
4. Give examples of the use of each material.
5. What is sustainability?
It is the capacity to endure and it describes how biological systems remain diverse and productive over time. It is the potential for long-term maintenance of wellbeing, that depends on the wellbeing of the natural world and the responsible use of natural resources. Clean Vehicles. It is sustainable as it produces lesser pollution compared to normal cars.
adapted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainability
6. What does it mean when we say that a product is sustainable? Give an example of a sustainable product and explain why the product is sustainably.
It means that the product provides environmental, social and economic benefits while protecting public health,welfare, and environment over their full cycle, which is from the extraction of raw materials to final disposition.
7. What does it mean by a sustainable environment? Give an example of a sustainable environment.
A sustainable environment is an environment where all living organisms such as plants, animals is able to exist in the ecosystem without any human destruction or interference.
One example of a sustainable environment is the Beech Forest in Grib Skov, Denmank.